That's a very good question, because there has indeed been a change in the kind of packages we handle.
Under normal circumstances, we process and deliver 700,000 to 800,000 items per day. We currently process and deliver between 1.5 million and 2 million items per day.
Usually 60% of the items are small packages, for example, a sweater ordered from Simons. The remaining 40% are larger packages, such as an Apple computer, that don't fit in a mailman's bag. However, we have seen big changes in the type of packages.
This is because right now, since people only have the option to order online, they order more items from the same supplier. So we've seen the size of the packages increase. There are fewer small ones, more big ones, and many more oversized packages, like canoes. We are not equipped for that. Our operations are designed to handle a lot of small parcels, 40% regular parcels, and perhaps 1% oversized parcels.