House of Commons photo

Crucial Fact

  • His favourite word was province.

Last in Parliament November 2005, as Liberal MP for Avalon (Newfoundland & Labrador)

Won his last election, in 2004, with 58% of the vote.

Statements in the House

Natural Resources December 9th, 2004

Mr. Speaker, the hon. member just made a statement that is not correct, that I promised a quick answer. I promised the minister from Saskatchewan an accurate answer. I did not place a timeline on it. We have had discussions with the government of Saskatchewan. We are very concerned about what is happening. There will be an answer coming soon.

Department of Foreign Affairs Act December 7th, 2004

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-32, an act to amend the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade Act and to make consequential amendments to other acts.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

The Environment December 6th, 2004

Mr. Speaker, that is an important question for the future of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

My colleague, the Minister of the Environment, and I met with the auto industry in the month of November. We made it very clear to the auto industry that we wanted a reduction of 25% on a voluntary basis by 2010. Since that time, the industry has come back with a letter. We will be meeting with it again in the very near future.

We are very confident that we will reach the agreement of a 25% reduction by 2010, which will be far ahead of the State of California, which has been bragging about--

The Environment November 30th, 2004

Mr. Speaker, if we followed the direction of the hon. member, we would not transport any oil or gas by any means whatsoever in Canada. Let us put some context into what happened.

This is the first oil spill off Newfoundland and Labrador. Over 500 million barrels of oil have been pumped and shipped to the United States and into Canada for further processing. Precautions are taken. We will learn from what happened and put further precautions in place.

The hon. member mentioned 10,000 birds. That is not factual.

Forestry Industry November 25th, 2004

Mr. Speaker, over the last several months I have had a number of meetings with the Government of British Columbia over this very serious issue. We are continuing to dialogue with the minister in British Columbia. We will come forward with a plan on which both governments can work together.

Natural Resources November 22nd, 2004

Mr. Speaker, from 1985 to 1989 I was in the opposition in Newfoundland and Labrador. I never ever asked a question that I did not know the answer to or have factual information. I would suggest the same to the member opposite.

Natural Resources November 22nd, 2004

Mr. Speaker, at this point in time we will not say yes or no. We received the third report of the Royal Society, the Priddle report, and the Cheryl Brooks report on the first nations consultation. We will review those reports. I will consult with my colleagues from British Columbia and the Government of British Columbia. Then we will make recommendations, but not until we have done a complete review and everybody understands the reports very clearly.

Department of Human Resources and Skills Development Act November 16th, 2004

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-23, an act to establish the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development and to amend and repeal certain related acts.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Department of Social Development Act November 16th, 2004

moved for leave to introduce Bill C-22, an act to establish the Department of Social Development and to amend and repeal certain related acts.

(Motions deemed adopted, bill read the first time and printed)

Natural Resources November 4th, 2004

Mr. Speaker, the government has been working very hard on this file. Up until the present day, the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador is receiving 100% of the revenues and 30% in the offset clause, which is no transfer of equalization. The remaining 70% is on a declining formula. The offer on the table today is 100% of the revenues plus the equalization plus the 30% plus the 70% until it reaches the Ontario level, and then it will still keep receiving 100% of the revenue and a--