Refine by MP, party, committee, province, or result type.

Results 1-15 of 116
Sorted by relevance | Sort by date: newest first / oldest first

Procedure and House Affairs committee  You raised a number of interesting and important points. On the first one, I do want to remind the committee that there are recommendations we made regarding the expansion of transfer certificates for people with disabilities. If we have that, in that way we'll introduce some fl

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  A couple of elements to answer. It's not just going to be a full answer to that. We have been working very closely with the communications security establishment. They provide, first of all, standards that we need to meet. Second of all, they assist us in the procurement of techn

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  Absolutely. I do agree that we need to remove that six-month limitation in the Canada Elections Act for the regulation of revenues to third parties. We've supported that and I personally support that.

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  I'll ask Michel to speak to that point because he's responsible for that area.

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  It think it's important to keep in mind that we are legally bound to ensure, where ever possible, accessible polling locations. However, in many cases there are options and there are other considerations than accessibility for the polling locations. There is not a clear cut answe

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  Absolutely. As you recall, there are two main problems for the current regime. One is the scope of regulated activities. Right now, the regime in the Canada Elections Act limits the expenses of third parties in terms of election advertising expenses only. That does not capture a

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  What we see in rural areas is fewer lineups at the polls. As a concern, it's travel distance to the polling places. That's the issue, and in many cases, the drawing of the polling divisions. At the last election, it was not adequate. So we've sought ways to improve that. One of

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  That's a valid point. There are two things. One is distance, and it's not the only factor. What we're introducing here in terms of distance is technology that enables a calculation of the travel distance, not as the crow flies, but driving distance. I know Mr. Reid had issues in

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  Correct. They will start this spring well in advance of the election. That's a new change that we're introducing. They will start identifying potential polling places based on all kinds of criteria, including accessibility. From that they will start working on the polling divisio

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  Thank you, Mr. Chair. I welcome this opportunity to appear before the committee today to present Election Canada's 2018-19 interim estimates as well as to update members on the status of our preparations for the 2019 general election. Today, the committee is voting on Election

February 27th, 2018Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  I may disappoint you. I don't have a strong opinion on that in the sense that I do think that's a fundamental policy decision for Parliament. I do think I could certainly administer such a regime. You may want to consider whether the mere fact of having created a commission, sh

November 30th, 2017Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  We do have 15. We were up to 23 in the last election. It tends to go up as you get closer to the election. I suspect that next year we'll see additional parties registered.

November 30th, 2017Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  I do not know the answer to that.

November 30th, 2017Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault

Procedure and House Affairs committee  I think so. I think that's correct.

November 30th, 2017Committee meeting

Stéphane Perrault